Black Forest Roulade
8 servings, ready in 90 minutes
An early Christmas gift from us to you: a sugar-free Black Forest Roulade.
Are you making this recipe? Don't forget to use the hashtag #SplendaBakeOff
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan/gas mark 6. Grease and line a 27 x 39 cm baking tray with baking parchment and set aside.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Mix everything well and set aside.
- Into another bowl, add the eggs and the SPLENDA®. Whisk until thick and when you lift out the beaters, it leaves gentle ‘ribbons’ of the mixture on the top.
- Carefully add in the flour cocoa mixture bit by bit into the bowl, folding gently to combine everything well after each addition.
- Once everything is well combined, add in the melted butter and again, fold everything gently together.
- Pour the batter into the baking tray and spread out evenly. Bake for 10 minutes or until the cake is ‘springy’ when touched.
- Remove from the oven and leave for 3 minutes. Place a new sheet of baking parchment on top of the sponge, followed by a cooling rack. Carefully flip the baking tray upside down so the sponge is now on the new piece of baking parchment and the cooling rack and remove the tray. Peel off old baking parchment and gently roll the cake into a spiral together with the new baking parchment. Leave to cool completely. This helps the cake to cool in the spiral shape and will help when you come to add the filling later.
- Whilst your sponge is cooling, make the cherry compote. Add the cherries and the SPLENDA® Granulated to a saucepan, along with 2 tbsp of water, on medium heat. Keep 3 or 4 cherries aside to garnish the top at the end. Keep stirring until the mixture comes to a gentle boil. Simmer the mixture until the water reduces by half - about 15 minutes, giving it a stir every few minutes to make sure it doesn’t stick. Leave to cool.
- Once everything is cool, whip together the whipping cream, cream cheese, SPLENDA® Granulated and vanilla extract until nice and fluffy.
To Assemble your roulade
- Unroll the sponge and spread the cream filling on across the whole of its surface. Now spoon the cherry compote, in 4 lines with some space in between them. Spoon a bit more cream on top of the cherries and lightly spread it.
- Carefully roll up the sponge again, trying not to squeeze the filling out as you do but trying to keep it as tightly rolled as possible.
- To avoid getting into a mess with the cream, use the baking parchment to help you lift the sponge up and gently roll it over. Wrap it with a piece of cling film so that it keeps its shape and place in the fridge to chill for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, remove the cling film and cut off both ends of the rolled cake to make it neater. To garnish, sprinkle with SPLENDA®, then, using a star tip, pipe some whipping cream in small swirls on top of the cake, and finish with fresh cherries.
- 4 Eggs, room temperature
- 45g Plain flour
- 30g Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 13g SPLENDA® Granulated
- 60g Butter, melted
- Cherry Compote
- 500g Cherries (fresh)
- 15g SPLENDA® Granulated
- Dash of Kirsch liqueur (optional)
- 240g Whipping cream
- 230g Low fat cream cheese
- 20g SPLENDA® Granulated
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
|of which saturates||15.00g|
|of which sugars||11.00g|