Red Velvet Cake
14 servings, ready in 60 minutes
A twist on the classic red velvet cake. A healthier option for the whole family!
Are you making this recipe? Don't forget to use the hashtag #SplendaBakeOff
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease two 20cm cake pans and line the bottom of each tin with parchment paper.
- Mix the flour, corn flour, bicarbonate of soda, cocoa powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the 4 egg whites until fluffy peaks form (about 3 minutes). Set aside.
- Using a handheld or stand mixer, beat the butter and SPLENDA® together on medium-high speed until combined, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed and mix again. Mix the food colouring with the vinegar in a little bowl until combined and then add this mixture and the oil, egg yolks and the vanilla extract to the butter and SPLENDA® mix and beat on high for 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed and mix again.
- With the mixer on a low speed, add the dry ingredients in 2-3 additions, alternating with the buttermilk. Then gently fold the egg whites into the cake batter. The batter will be silky and slightly thick.
- Pour the cake batter into the two pans, dividing the mixture evenly. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the tops of the cakes spring back when gently touched and a cocktail stick inserted in the centre comes out clean. If the cakes need a little longer (as determined by wet crumbs on the cocktail stick), bake for 2-3 minutes longer and test again. Remove cakes from the oven and cool completely in the pans set on a wire rack. The cakes must be completely cool before frosting and assembling.
- In a large bowl using a handheld or stand mixer, beat all ingredients together on medium-high speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Frosting should be soft, but not runny.
- Using a large serrated knife, slice a thin layer off the tops of the cakes to create a flat surface. Discard or crumble over finished cake. Place 1 cake layer on your cake stand or serving plate. Evenly cover the top with frosting. Top with the second layer and sprinkle some SPLENDA® over the top.
- 4 large eggs, room temperature and separated
- 300g Plain flour
- 45g Corn flour
- 2 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tbsp Unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 120g Unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 40g SPLENDA® Granulated
- 240ml Vegetable oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp White vinegar
- Red food colouring (gel or paste)
- 240ml Buttermilk, at room temperature
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 300g Cream cheese
- 75g Butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 3½ tbsp SPLENDA® Granulated
|of which saturates||13.00g|
|of which sugars||2.20g|